By Benjamin Wiker
These are their evil opposites. From Machiavelli's The Prince to Karl Marx's The Communist Manifesto to Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male, those "influential" books have ended in battle, genocide, totalitarian oppression, kin breakdown, and disastrous social experiments. And but those authors' undesirable principles are nonetheless well known and pervasive--in truth, they could impression your personal pondering with no your knowing it. right here with the antidote is Professor Benjamin Wiker. In his scintillating new ebook, 10 Books That Screwed Up the area (And five Others that did not Help), he seizes each one of those evil books by means of its malignant center and exposes it to the sunshine of day. during this witty, realized, and provocative exposé, you will learn:
* Why Machiavelli's The Prince was once the muse for an extended record of tyrannies (Stalin had it on his nightstand)
* How Descartes' Discourse on strategy "proved" God's lifestyles purely by way of making Him a construction of our personal ego
* How Hobbes' Leviathan resulted in the assumption that we have got a "right" to no matter what we want
* Why Marx and Engels's Communist Manifesto may possibly win the award for the main malicious publication ever written
* How Darwin's The Descent of guy proves he meant "survival of the fittest" to be utilized to human society
* How Nietzsche's past sturdy and Evil issued the decision for a global governed exclusively through the "will to power"
* How Hitler's Mein Kampf was once a type of "spiritualized Darwinism" that money owed for his genocidal anti-Semitism
* How the pansexual paradise defined in Margaret Mead's Coming of Age in Samoa grew to become out to be a production of her personal sexual confusions and aspirations
* Why Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male used to be easily autobiography masquerading as science
Witty, stunning, and instructive, 10 Books That Screwed Up the area deals a short schooling at the worst principles in human history--and how we will steer clear of them within the future.
Read Online or Download 10 Books That Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help PDF
Best Conservatism Liberalism books
As american citizens, we are facing basic questions:First, are we actually ready to struggle this new warfare to wipe out terrorism and terrorist regimes, and win it decisively—no topic what sacrifices it calls for or how lengthy it takes? moment, are we once more ready to coach our youngsters the basic rules and values that make this kingdom great—the values that make this state worthy scuffling with for, dwelling for, and death for?
The USA has survived clueless presidential administrations prior to. yet irrespective of how huge, immense the drawback -- the good melancholy, Vietnam, Watergate, Monica Lewinsky's thong -- America's continually pop out having a look like, good, the US. This time, even though, something's diversified. issues will not be simply screwed up; they're ff!
American political improvement (APD) is a center subfield in American political technology, and makes a speciality of political and coverage heritage. For quite a few purposes, many of the concentration within the 20th century APD has been on liberal policymaking. but because the Seventies, conservatives have progressively assumed regulate over quite a few federal policymaking associations.
This ebook examines the arrival of the "new liberalism" in overdue Victorian and Edwardian instances, not easy accredited perspectives approximately its improvement. Freeden analyzes recommendations of neighborhood, welfare, and kingdom legislation in political thought and stresses the contribution of organic and evolutionary principles to altering liberal attitudes.
Extra resources for 10 Books That Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help